Egg & Homemade Cashew Pesto
Start your day right, with Sue’s healthy and satisfying breakfast made with fresh, homemade pesto.
Serves: 1 person
Prep time: 10-15 mins
Cook time: 10-15 mins
- 1-2 eggs poached, soft boiled, fried… or any way you like!
- 2 tablespoons Cashew Pesto (see below)
- 2-6 cherry tomatoes
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1-2 slices of multigrain/wholemeal toast
INGREDIENTS – Cashew Pesto
- Bunch of basil (keep some leaves aside for garnish)
- ½ cup roasted cashews, unsalted
- 1 Cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp zest of lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Blitz all Cashew Pesto ingredients together in food processor, blend to a runny paste consistency
- Store Pesto in an airtight container
- Poach, boil or fry eggs to your liking
- While eggs are cooking, cut cherry tomatoes in half and make your toast
- Spread pesto over toast, top with eggs, cherry tomatoes, garnish with basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Pesto will store for up to one week, refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Experiment by using different nuts for the pesto such as pine nuts, almonds or pistachio
- For an extra kick try adding some fresh chilli
- To smooth it out add some goats cheese