Thai Beef Salad
This is my mid-week get home from work and don’t feel like cooking dinner recipe. With summer approaching, a nice glass or perhaps two of crisp white wine – it’s a winner!
from Sue Green
Serves: 2-4 people
Prep time: 15-20 mins
Cook time: 15-20 mins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 (about 680g) beef rump steak
- 1 x 200g packet grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 continental cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 2 long fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked, large leaves torn
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil, leaves picked, large leaves torn
- 55g (1/3 cup) toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded
METHOD – 3 Easy Steps, accompanied with a glass of wine
- Whisk together lime juice, garlic, fish sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and palm sugar in a jug. Place the steak in a glass or ceramic dish. Drizzle with half the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, turning occasionally, for 2 hours to develop the flavours.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on high. Cook steak on the grill for 2-3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Place the tomato, cucumber, onion, chilli, mint, coriander, basil, peanuts and lime leaves in a large bowl. Thinly slice steak across the grain and add to the salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing and gently toss to combine. Divide salad among bowls and serve immediately.